30 July 2016

Interview with Duke Carl of Württemberg

On the occasion of his upcoming 80th birthday on 01. August Duke Carl of Württemberg has given an Interview to the Schwäbische Zeitung.



His Royal Highness, Your Highness or Duke, which salutation is to you the right?

There are many styling. His Royal Highness is formally certainly correct, but it is a bit stiff. In conversation, as just with you, it is my favorite, if you just call me Duke Carl.

Duke Carl, how are you?

Unless all right. Since I was six months in the hospital two years ago, I am groggy. I have a muscle weakness, which is why my eye closes again. I can also do stand for to long. The head is still intact, but the body does not quite with.

Why you have decided, then at least more to celebrate?

We were thinking about what you can do. On Sunday there will be a reception, but otherwise the family is paramount. It has become the custom among us that one makes a larger reception at round birthdays and invites friends from the country and companions. I can not wait to see them.

As is to be always a public person?

Either one is or one is not. Although you can not do everything as a public figure. This is perhaps just as well. Otherwise, it is the same as in other human being, no matter whether public or publicly. The house Wurttemberg has a long history. Our family has existed for 900 years. This is our heritage. It is important that you feel comfortable. There are just some trappings by the family that gave this country its name and has shaped it.

Will the tradition that the head of the house moves from Friedrichshafen Altshausen  continued into the next generation?

With the death of King William in 1921 my grandfather became head of the house, he lived in Altshausen. My father remained long in Stuttgart, where the court chamber was until he was expelled in 1933 by the Nazis from Stuttgart. At that time, he came to Altshausen. Later, our administration, which was scattered, brought here. So it has become a tradition that the head of the house of Württemberg lives in Altshausen and the heir in Friedrichshafen. My son Friedrich has already said that he wants to move even after Altshausen when I am no longer. My grandson Wilhelm, who will become now 22, can then continue in Friedrichshafen.

They are considered very interesting politics. What do you think of the haggling to the Office of the President, since Joachim Gauck has announced its withdrawal?

It's a bit unworthy, that you want to use the occasion to deport someone. There is too important an office. The parties should first be internally agree on a candidate, so that it can be all the parties meet.
After the incidents in Nice, Turkey and Würzburg the world seems to be falling apart. What do you think, why?

Yes, the world is falling apart. Before there were the attacks in Paris and Belgium. This hatred that some people have on each other is beyond me. There is something horrible to kill people who are happy, as in Nice. There is no protection. And how this can continue in the long term? It is a difficult path, no way we can sacrifice our values. Especially in relation to Turkey, the policy does not know what she wants. On the one hand we need Turkey. On the other hand it seems that what has happened after the coup to have been prepared well. Otherwise it would not have been possible, as quickly arrest so many people. One could assume almost that it was co-organized from above.

When you think about your life's work, on what you like to look back?

I have had a good life and was able to achieve much more for the country that bears our name. Fortunately moments for me when I see that a parents' association for children with cancer, which I co-founded, continues to grow. That pleases me very much. This inner joy is more than praise from the outside. Such things I have done from inner conviction, but I think there should not be big to talk about it.

If you could go back in time again 40 years old, there is something, what would you do differently?

That there is in every aspect of life, which is the most normal thing in the world. But I can think of no certain points. Many decisions have to see out of time. Undo does not work. But for the future I can ask myself how I can fix it better.

For your eighties, you certainly get a lot of congratulations. What do you wish for your birthday?

That the Lord God gives me a couple of years, which I can spend on my family and in this country here. Better Health is one of them, I would hope.

And what you want the state of Baden-Württemberg, whose namesake They are indeed?

The country Baden-Württemberg I wish that it may live in peace. The fact that we get no such problems as in Nice or in Würzburg. That refugees be integrated, so that they can live with us here. Therefore I finance a half social worker post for refugees in Altshausen. The Landratsamt Ravensburg had provided for more than 100 refugees a points quota of 0.7 for a social worker, but that seemed to be too little. Now there are two social workers who share the work. Mir is the social peace in the municipality Altshausen important and I wanted to make my contribution for this place, so that integration can succeed.
Can you actually laugh at Badner- and Schwaben jokes?

Yes, I can always. You throw me the way time and again that I can talk no Schwäbisch. But my mother had just come from Austria, and you can hear that on me - it is indeed native language. The Badeners I have an excellent relationship. We live in the state of Baden-Württemberg. It makes no sense, all here to do differently there. That is why I recently really happy about a meeting on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the Friends of the militias, civil militia and City Garden in Baden-Württemberg. The numerous militias are traditionally united in a part of Württemberg-Hohenzollern Association and a federation Baden. But the meeting has shown that the differences even in the traditional clubs are over. It was nice that the Badnerlied and Württemberg anthem was sung.


No comments: